Copyright by Wendi Goodman THE One Weary Soldier. Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Shout out to Women Vets in the Tampa Bay area -- Will you meet me at the Tampa VA Hospital on October 4, 2011?

Calling all Women Veterans in the Greater Tampa Bay area.  This one is for you.  I don't think you need a reminder that the month of October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  All you have to do is turn on the television, open a magazine, read the newspaper, or go online and there are reminders everywhere.  They are definitely IN YOUR FACE.  Do I mind?  No.  I'm one of those who is religious about going in for mammograms.  I have a maternal history of breast cancer in my family so I know I have an increased risk for developing it.  My doctors are aware of it and my primary care physician at JAH is very pro-active when it comes to getting me scheduled for my annual exam.  If you haven't had your annual done lately, what are you waiting for?  Call your PCP and get scheduled.  Now.  It may just save your life.  The phone number to the Tampa VA Hospital is 813-972-2000.

If you're in the Tampa area, Pamela Smith-Beatty, the Women Veterans Program Manager at JAH  has been putting together luncheons for Women Veterans every couple of months designed to educate us on various topics.  The subject for the luncheon on October 4th is "Think Pink! Breast Cancer Awareness."  If you click here you will go directly to the flyer for the conference.  If that doesn't work for you, copy and paste the following link to your browser and it will take you to the flyer.


Pam asks that you wear pink to the luncheon.  I'll be there.  I may have to go out and purchase something pink to wear.  It's not a color I normally wear.  I'm not sure what to do about Rocco.  He doesn't wear pink either.  His service vest is a deep royal blue.  I guess I'll have to put a pink bandana on him for the day.  He's secure enough in his masculinity that I'm sure the pink won't bother him.  

For more information please call the Tampa VA Hospital and ask to speak with Pam Smith-Beatty, Women Veterans Program Manager.  She'll be happy to take your calls and answer your questions.  She's been a tremendous help to me with several issues I've had with the Tampa VA Hospital.  

While we are on the topic of Pam, she can also help if you need to be seen for your PTSD issues.  It doesn't matter if they are combat or MST related.  If you need treatment and you aren't getting it, call Pam at (813) 972-2000 extension 6695. Remember, for PTSD due to MST, you do not have to be service connected to be treated.  If someone tries to tell you otherwise, call Pam immediately.  She will make sure you get seen.  She's not your average VA employee.  She's also a USAF Retiree having served 21 years in uniform.  She has my respect and admiration.  She's someone we can depend on at the Tampa VA to help us.  I have a direct line to her, folks.  If you need my help to reach her, you can always email me and I'll make sure she gets in contact with you.

I hope to see you at the luncheon on October 4th.  Please stop and say hello to Rocco and me either before or after the presentation is over.  If you would, let me know that you heard about it by reading this post.  

One last thing before I let you go.  Please, please, please .... share the link to this post with all the Women Vets you know in the Greater Tampa Bay area.  Try to encourage them to attend this luncheon.  I realize it's difficult because many of you work, but I also know that there are just as many of you out there who don't or can't work.  If you can get to the VA Hospital in Tampa on October 4th, come join me and Rocco.  We'll definitely be waiting to shake your hand and say hello.

Until the next time......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by Lori Hahn

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP