Copyright by Wendi Goodman THE One Weary Soldier. Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Brand New Look

Hello Invisible Readers!  If you are reading this blog from the website and not via Facebook, you've seen the new look.  What do you think?  It's beautiful, isn't it.  I'd like to take credit for it, but I can't.  I have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to website design and my artistic talent .... well, let's just say I'm not very creative.  Give me a camera and I can take some great shots.  But I'll be damned if I can create a website that appeals to the human eye.  I just can't do it.

All the credit goes to Lori Hahn.  Until yesterday we'd never met and I had no clue who she was.  I happened upon her blog via an email I received from my friend Noonie, an author and researcher.  Noonie recommended that I read a blog Lori wrote about LTG Claudia Kennedy.  It was an interview regarding Don't Ask Don't Tell.  You can read the full article here.  

After reading the blog, I sent an email to Lori.  It was a three part email.  First, I told her how much I enjoyed her blog.  Second, I invited her to join STRAIGHT TALK.  You've heard me talk about STRAIGHT TALK.  It's the group started by Jim Strickland of VA Watchdog dot Org.  I'm a moderator there.  We do our best to help Veterans with benefits and claims.  We've got former VA employees, attorneys and VSO's available to answer your questions and they all contribute their time voluntarily and free of charge.  It's a great place to come to for answers.  Third, since Lori's blog has the attention of the LGBT Community, I was hoping that she might promote STRAIGHT TALK in one of her blogs.  Right now, I'm the only "out" lesbian at STRAIGHT TALK.  I've taken some crap over that from other members of STRAIGHT TALK but still I persist in bringing up LGBT issues.  I do this because I know there are other LGBT Vet members.  They have their reasons for staying closeted in STRAIGHT TALK and I respect that.

Lori and I emailed back and forth and I told her that I am also a blogger.  I sent her the link to this blog.  She emailed me back and told me, "Girl, we need to do something about that template!  Let me know if you ever want to do a redesign!  Easy-peasy and could be done as a favor in a very short time.  Seriously."

I was shocked.  Here was this woman I'd never met.  We'd just started emailing a couple of hours prior and here she was offering to redesign my blog template.  Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity.  If you are reading this from the blogspot website, you are looking at the fruits of her labor.  If you're reading this from Facebook you're missing out on a work of art.  "Seriously."  I love the new look and I can't tell you how grateful I am to Lori.  Thank you, Lori.  Thank you for helping someone you just met. 

Lori is also a Veteran.  Thanks for your service, Lori.  She served 8 years, half in the Air Force and half in the Army working in the Intel field.  Lori is very proud of the fact that she never spent a single night in the field during her 8 years in service.  I hear ya, Lori!  Lori has been blogging for years.  I started reading her blogs yesterday.  They are funny, insightful, touching and a joy to read.  She and co-editor, Margo Moon, just debuted Our Big Gayborhood.  Their banner reads, "Welcome to Our Big Gayborhood ... Where the Queers Write."  If you've been looking for a collection of LGBT Bloggers to read, Invisible Readers, visit the Gayborhood.  I promise you won't be disappointed.  I've already subscribed and I'll be a regular reader from now on.

Until the next time .....





 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by Lori Hahn

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP