Copyright by Wendi Goodman THE One Weary Soldier. Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Service: When Women Come Marching Home

Service: When Women Come Marching Home
A Must See Not-A-Chic-Flic Movie 

This is a tough post to write.  I'm not really sure where to begin.  Service: When Women Come Marching Home is without doubt the best documentary you have not yet seen.  I've said that before and I will keep saying it until you post a comment here telling me you have viewed it.

Service focuses on eight women Veterans with life altering, service-connected disabilities.  Their disabilities range from Military Sexual Trauma (MST) to radical amputation to homelessness.  Every Veteran tells her own story.  In the words of co-producer Patricia Stotter, "there are no voice overs".

I can now reveal that I have been involved with this project almost since the very beginning when I was asked permission to have my blog used as a resource in Service.  How could I say no?  I was honored and flattered.  I have watched as this has moved from an idea to a full blown, feature Documentary.  I was able to screen Service in its' most raw form while it was being developed.  I watched it grow from an idea to what you are now seeing at screenings and on your local PBS Stations.



Something to keep in mind as you prepare to view this film.  It may trigger you if you have PTSD.  Several of the 8 women in Service were raped.  Some are combat Veterans with serious combat injuries.  Homelessness is covered and discussed.  No stone is left unturned and you hear the horrible truth from each of these brave Veterans.


I have had the pleasure of friending some of the Veterans in Service; BriGette and Layla. Late at night when she and I can't sleep, you can often find Layla and I chatting privately on Facebook.  Patricia Stotter has also become a close friend and confidante. We give each other support.  As Survivors, we need that.  Support.  And that, in a nutshell, is what Service means to me.  SUPPORT.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank Patricia Stotter and Marcia Rock for coming up with the idea for this outstanding documentary. For almost three years (?) they have put their heart, soul and blood into this project and there is no end in sight. They are now criss-crossing the Country doing screenings in a city or town near you (if you are lucky!). 

I would also like to thank the DAV for sponsoring Service.  Without their help, this important documentary would not be in the position it's in now this soon.

To all the Veterans and their families who are in Service, I salute you.  You all have my undying respect and love.  Thank you so much for having the courage to come forward and tell your stories.  People need to hear them; they need to see the truth.  Others need to know what is available and Service educates.

For more information about Service; When Women Come Marching Home, please go to their website.  There you can "meet" the Veterans in the film.  You will also find the television schedule for your home town.  You don't want to miss it when it's on.  If you don't see your city listed, call your local PBS station and DEMAND they show it!!!


After you have seen Service, would you mind coming back here to comment?  I would love to know what you think of this heart-tugging documentary.  It's very important to me and not just because my blog is in it.  I've already had my 15 minutes of fame and glory.  That happened long ago.  I just want to hear how you were touched by this documentary. 


Thanks, my friends.  Until the next time.....


3 comments:

  1. Hi Sir, You are really good writer.

    It is really helpful article about the topic of onewearysoldier.blogspot.com.It is very
    helpful in using social media sites.I so much interest about your article. I know it is not any simple information. This is very nice post! I will bookmark this blog as I have Greater Eviction Service Solutions provides fast, efficient, and professional eviction services for property owners in Austin, Florida. Demand an eviction these days.

    Thanks For Only You Create That cute Article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you wrote this! Every word is right on the mark! I have had the joy and privilege of attending three different screenings of this remarkable film -- at Harvard Kennedy School, American University, and the home of Carla and Leigh McCloskey in Malibu,CA -- and the reactions of a huge variety of veterans and nonveterans have been nothing but extremely positive. And one screening often leads to at least one audience member wanting to arrange for another one somewhere else! This is exactly as it should be. Everyone should see this film. I love that it shows both the struggles and the beautiful ways that the women support each other and sometimes also get support from family members.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia Lee StotterApril 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

    thank you so much for being everything Service is about . Wendi Good(wo)man.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Lori Hahn

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP